Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Week 1: G-Free Recap

Well I'd like to say that I spent the entire last seven days completely g-free, but this has not been the case. Though I immediately went g-free after the tTG blood draw (for celiac disease) last Monday morning, it took several days before I actually felt my energy returning and the stomach aches begin to go away. I was experiencing many of the symptoms during the two months prior to diagnosing myself.

Just when I thought I was finally g-free again, Christmas Eve came and went. I knew I had a small amount of wheat for dinner on Christmas Eve, but thought it might not affect me so much and at worst might get a stomach ache for a day or so, but tolerable. Christmas Day came and went and I ate freely of the candies in my stocking, all of which I thought were gluten-free. As it turns out, either something was not g-free, or the effects of Christmas Eve were beginning to take its toll, because by Christmas night I was not feeling too well, and it lasted all weekend long.

I spent the weekend profoundly tired-- it was all I could do to get out of bed and move around. I didn't want to do anything else. I could have spent the entire weekend lying in bed watching TV-- I had no energy, and was experiencing CD-related heartburn, stomach aches, bloating, nausea, flushing sensations, tingling and numbness; you name it. I didn't know whether it was the candy, or if something I had prepared was not g-free, even though I prepared all the Christmas Day meals myself and was very careful about every ingredient. The more I thought about it, the more I realized it had to be something in the candy, specifically, the mini-peppermint patties (which I love!).

I swore off the candy and gave it all to my kids, and began to feel better within 24 hours. So it is my hope that Week 2 will be much more "normalized" in the world of g-free eating, and will diligently stay away from unknown gluten food sources to the best of my abilities. We are to go to a friend's house this coming weekend, and I hope to be as gracious as can be in declining any food treats, if necessary!

No comments: