Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Numbing/Tingling sensations with Celiac

Last night, the girls and their dad really wanted pancakes for dinner. I didn't have any gluten-free pancake mix yet, and so they went to IHOP, and loaded up on pancakes. This morning, every one of the girls was sick. Note, this is not the first time-- we have always gotten sick after eating there, and now I suspect it is the overload of gluten in those giant pancakes!!

Today has been a good day for my stomach. With only minimal stomach soreness, I added a little more to my 'bland' diet to test out eating a little closer to normal, all the while staying gluten-free.

Grocery shopping is going to need some revising. I went to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things and check out what they might have that is gluten-free. The store is so full of so many tempting items-- things that are small, quick, tasty-- and 99% not gluten-free. I won't be able to take the kids through the grocery aisles. It will be best to steer clear from the temptations, or do the grocery shopping at a smaller, more selective store. I really wish there was a gluten-free store in town.

I discovered a couple more wonderful websites today. One is called Gluten Free Mommy, and is full of terrific recipes and ideas that I can't wait to try! I have been busy scouring through a couple of gluten-free recipe books that I have, as well as many recipes online. I really like the Gluten Free Mommy because her recipes are the closest to "normal" that I have seen. For example, just when I was thinking I would have to give up our traditional holiday green bean casserole this Christmas, I found her website and lo and behold, there is a recipe for it! Yay!! Thank you, Gluten Free Mommy!!

Another great website I came across today is called The National Foundation for Celiac Awareness. It is full of all kinds of information and even has a Celiac Disease symptoms checklist with you can take to find out if you might have CD or gluten intolerance.

Something that I found interesting on the website: Celiac Diseas Symptoms Can be Elusive--

"There are more than 300 symptoms of celiac disease, and symptoms may vary amongst different people. One person might have symptoms of diarrhea and abdominal pain, while another person has irritability or depression. Some patients develop celiac symptoms early in life, while others feel healthy far into adulthood. Some people with celiac disease may not show any symptoms. These differences can make celiac diagnosis extremely difficult resulting in 95% of celiacs undiagnosed or misdiagnosed with other conditions."

They point out that it is important to be treated because complications can develop that include other autoimmune diseases,thyroad disease, osteoporosis, and even cancer. The website lists several different symptoms, including the following:
  • Bloating or Gas
  • Diarrhea
  • Constipation
  • Fatigue
  • Itchy Skin Rash
  • Tingling/Numbness
  • Pale Mouth Sores
  • Joint pain
  • Delayed Growth
  • Poor Weight Gain
  • Thin Bones
  • Infertility
  • Headaches
  • Depression
  • Irritability
  • Discolored Teeth
I was particularly interested in the "Tingling or Numbness" because this is a symptom that seems to throw so many of the healthcare workers off. According to this website, "Tingling and Numbness are abnormal sensations that can occur anywhere in your body. It is a sensation of tingling, pricking, or numbness of a person's skin with no apparent long-term physical effect. It can also be described as 'pins and needles' or referred to as a limb being 'asleep.'"

When I was experiencing this sensation, it usually happened in both my hands and feet, sometimes including my forearms, and from the knees down. Sometimes I could even feel it move in waves through my body to my extremeties. It was as if my hands and feet were trying to fall asleep. If you've ever had your blood pressure taken and the cuff begins to tighten, you feel the congestion in your arm and your wrist may feel numb-- that is often how I felt. It was most frequent during the first 4 or 5 weeks of my illness.

PLEASE SEE THE WEBSITE FOR COMPLETE INFORMATION!

No comments: