Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Going Gluten-Free

Saturday morning, I woke up and fixed myself a breakfast that I thought would go down well. I have been having pretty regular stomach pain and indigestion for months, but only in the past two months had it worsened considerably. I even ended up in the ER, thinking I was having a heart attack, which I couldn't comprehend since I didn't really have the risk factors.

Two months ago, in a drastic attempt to find out what was wrong with me (after my little stint in the ER), I started drinking only water, stopped eating sugar and processed foods, and almost all meat (except for small portions of white chicken meat, no skin). I also stopped eating anything fried, and stopped eating fatty foods, and stopped taking all OTC medicines and vitamin supplements. On top of that, I started monitoring everything I ate, and kept track in a food/symptom journal. I ate foods that were supposed to reduce heartburn and acid reflux.

But the stomach pains never really went away, and I had a low-grade fever almost every day. My back was also beginning to bother me, but I thought it was just poor posture hunched over the computer all day. Three weeks after the ER, still on a very strict diet, I became very ill with a kidney infection. I took cipro antibiotics for five days, and felt quite a bit better.

But still, the stomach pains never really went away. Some days were good days and some days were bad days, and I never knew what kind of day I would have from one day to the next. I couldn't plan anything, and since it was peak holiday season, it was a very difficult time.

So what did I have for breakfast three days ago that sent me on this new journey? Homemade blueberry toast with a small pat of (real) butter. Within 45 minutes, I was hit with a sudden wave of nausea, a bad stomach ache and painful back ache. Within 15 more minutes I was feeling very weak, and was trembling. 15 more minutes later, I had a 100.4-degree fever and was sick to my stomach. Being a Saturday, the clinic was closed, and I knew something was wrong. I kept running to the bathroom, thinking I could "push it out" because my whole abdomen was hurting so bad.

I thought maybe I could try some Pepto-Bismol, but the label said not to take if you have a fever, or an ulcer (still an unknown for me at this point), but we called the hopsital and the nurse said it was okay to take the Pepto-Bismol, and some Tylenol for the fever, which I did because my fever was still rising. I felt a little better, but my stomach was still very sore. Needless to say, I was afraid to eat anything.

When I did eat during the day, I stuck to my now "usual" strict and bland diet, yet it was becoming all too clear to me that this diet wasn't the answer to my digestive troubles.

I laid on our inversion table (at 60-degrees) for 15 minutes, which seemed to alleviate the back pain quite well, but still had a serious knot in my stomach for the rest of the day. In fact, I had noticed that the sore "area" in my body was shaped like a giant teardrop, the tip of the tear being between my lower ribs, and the round "bowl" of the tear extending below my navel, encompassing the pelvic basin.

I couldn't sleep that night because I couldn't seem to find a comfortable position. I woke up on Sunday with both stomach pain and back pain. I was feeling nauseous and bloated, just like the day before. Only this time I felt like my abdomen had been run over by a truck-- it felt sore, but like an old injury, rather than anything new.

I decided that during that day (Sunday) I would not eat any gluten and see what happened. I researched the foods that I could eat without gluten and stuck to those kinds of foods: dried mangoes; fresh apples; mashed potatoes; peas; foods of that basic nature. And guess what? Though my stomach was sore, there was no new hurt, no new inflammatory-type pain, no new intestinal distress.... just peace, for the first time in a long time.

I did the inversion therapy again for 15 minutes to alleviate the back pain, and it worked quite well. I also practiced yoga breathing and some simple yoga movements, which I started as an attempt to reduce stress a couple weeks ago. I found that I enjoy the feeling I get with the yoga breathing and improved posture. Overall, the day was a much better day for my digestive system.

The next day, Monday (Day 2), I woke up with a small stomach ache, --more from the 'old injury' and nothing new. I wondered how long it would take to heal a sore stomach? I had to skip breakfast because I was scheduled to get my cholesterol checked at the clinic, for which fasting for 12 hours is required. It wasn't the first time I noticed how much better I felt without food in my stomach!!

For the second day in a row, I stuck to foods with no gluten. I also continued with the 15-minute inversion therapy sessions for my sore back. And guess what? I felt pretty good!! I even made a loaf of gluten-free bread because bread is such a big comfort food for me. All in all, not a bad day!

Websites that I found particularly helpful:


I hope to continue this journey until I can find answers to my digestive problems. I suspect, that if I have Celiac Disease, I may likely still have acid reflux, or even a hiatal hernia. But perhaps finding answers to one, will lead to answers to the other. We will see how this day pans out

No comments: