Friday, December 25, 2009

Going Gluten-Free....again

Last Monday I was tested for tTG: the Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase test. This should show whether I am 'at risk' for Celiac whether I am showing symptoms or not. Because it is so sensitive, it is supposed to be fairly accurate.

"Researchers have discovered that people with celiac disease who eat gluten have higher than normal levels of certain antibodies in their blood. Antibodies are produced by the immune system in response to substances that the body perceives to be threatening. Think of antibodies as a sending out a warning signal to the body --only in the case of an autoimmune disorder like celiac disease, the warning signal sounds for something that is supposed to be safe --the proteins in wheat, rye and barley that are generically known as 'gluten'" (UC Celiac Center).

Because I had already diagnosed myself and been off gluten for 5 days, I was instructed to return to a gluten diet for the remaining four days prior to the test... which I did, but with caution.

I have noticed that depending on what I eat, it may take anywhere from 45 minutes to 20 hours or so before I start reacting to the gluten. After Monday's test, I immediately returned to gluten-free eating, but it was difficult, and took a couple of days before I began to get my energy back. By Wednesday I couldn't figure out why I would feel great for a short while, and then become nauseous again. I traced back what I had eaten the previous day and the only thing that was questionable was Activia yogurt-- something with which I used to start every morning. So I looked it up on Dannon's website (the parent company), and according to their website, they will not proclaim any Activia yogurts gluten-free because certain flavorings contain gluten, and they are made together with those that don't contain gluten. There was my answer. I immediately stopped eating it, and became gluten-free.... again.

It is amazing how different I feel when I am gluten-free. In fact, I can usually tell when my body is gluten-free because my energy level just sails through the roof —I don’t remember ever having this much energy.

As I continue to learn what is safe to eat and what isn't, I am also learning about the many different alternative flours and mixtures so that we can continue to eat the foods we like-- without the gluten. There is nothing like a major holiday dinner to break you in to cooking gluten-free!!! In one day alone I made two batches of Oreo cookies; chocolate macaroon cookies; French-fried onions (for the Christmas dinner green-bean casserole) and chicken enchiladas (with g-free tortillas) for Christmas Eve. Our Christmas Eve and Christmas Dinner were as traditional as they have always been, and g-free!

If I find a product that looks like it might be g-free but is questionable, I am learning to call the company to find out. Most products come with a 1-800-number on the package, and most have a Nutritionist or hotline that answers common questions, including whether a product is g-free or not. For example, we usually like the Tostitos “Lime & Chili” chips with our enchiladas, and even though the ingredients didn’t list gluten, it contianed MSG. I knew from my own research that some g-free websites say MSG is okay, and some say it isn’t. Turns out, it depends on the glutamate in MSG—whether it was made with corn (safe) or other (wheat, barley, or rye—unsafe). Most MSG in the U.S. is considered “safe”. But we still weren’t sure, so my husband called the 1-800 number that was on the package, and they quickly answered that Yes, it is gluten-free, and offered to send us a complete list of their g-free products!!

I continue to learn something about celiac and gluten every single day, even if it is simply what causes a particular reaction in my body, and what symptoms will follow. By this time next year, this will be 'old hat' and our holiday dinners will be even better. What seems so new and awkward right now, will become normal, and all of us will be much healthier. This is something which will make me very happy!

No comments: