Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Symptoms of Celiac

There are so many symptoms that can be connected with CD, it seems almost impossible to diagnose. It is no wonder so many people do not receive a proper diagnosis until their particular combination of symptoms can no longer be ignored.

I found a website called Gluten Free Works, which has an extremely comprehensive list of symptoms of Celiac by body sytem. I have listed here only the symptoms that pertain to me, or to my children:
  • Weight Gain (unexplained): I gained almost 20 pounds in a year without any significant changes in my diet. I thought it was just my age.
  • Abdominal bloating
  • Abdominal pain
  • Nausea
  • Heartburn
  • Allergic Rhinitis
  • Urticaria, chronic (hives)
  • Eczema
  • Koilonychia (Thin nails that flatten, ends progressively turning up instead of down): I have noticed over the past three months at least, that I cannot seem to grow my fingernails. They are either too soft or too brittle. Lately, the tips of my nails (not all of them) are bending upward. So I cut them and they are extremely short.
  • Nails, Dry and brittle that chip, peel, crack or break easily
  • Seborrhea
  • Thin hair: My hair has always been thin but lately I seem to be losing even more hair.
  • Anxiety
  • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
  • Depression
  • Headaches
  • Inability to concentrate
  • Insomnia
  • Irritability
  • Migraine
  • Tremors
  • Nightblindness
  • Urinary Tract Infection (Kidney infections in my case)
  • Amenorrhea
  • Late Menarche (I was 15 years old)
  • Complications during pregnancy: During my first pregnancy, I lost more weight than I gained. By my fourth pregnancy, I was so extremely ill I was very nearly ketotic. I could not tolerate either food or water.
Many of the above symptoms I have also seen in my children, plus these additional symptoms:
  • congential anomalies
  • Autism and learning disorders
  • ADHD
  • Gums bleeding/swollen (red in children)
  • Lactose intolerance
  • Asthma
I am fairly certain the majority of my children also have CD. Am looking forward to finding answers.

No comments: