Saturday, December 26, 2009

Still trying to figure it out...

I have learned to tell the difference between a gluten-reaction stomach-ache and anything else. Today is definitely one of those gluten-reaction days, although I have not so far been able to pinpoint the source. I have been experiencing overwhelming fatigue and ongoing stomach pain.

Sometimes I get a reaction fairly quick, and sometimes it can take up to two days before it appears. To the best of my knowledge, I ate completely g-free yesterday, which means today's reaction is likely a reaction from Christmas Eve.

Something else I have learned is that when these types of symptoms appear (stomach pain; nausea; flushing or tingling sensations), it is usually the tail-end of whatever I ate, and will pass-- hopefully sooner than later.

The only thing I can trace over the past couple of days that may have affected my digestive system is a small amount of whole wheat that I ate on Christmas Eve. Since then, I have also eaten a number of small Christmas candies (gluten-free) that may also be triggering some kind of reaction to another ingredient-- it is difficult to tell. What I have learned over these past few days is that when in doubt, skip it. It won't be worth the pain later.

No comments: