Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Researching Celiac Disease

According to the National Digestive Disease Information Clearinghouse National Institute of Health), Celiac Disease is genetic, meaning it runs in families.

I received an email from my mother earlier today, and she happened to mention that one of my sisters had been to visit my parents over the weekend. My sister, who has been dealing with digestive problems (and liver), became ill after eating at a business dinner party the night before. Usually very careful about what she eats, something was slipped into her food that may have had traces of something to which she is very sensitive or allergic. Her son (my nephew) has also been suffering from something that sounds like colitis.

My brother was recently diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, and my mother has suffered with chronic digestive problems for many years. Her cousin also has a very restricted diet, and the list of relatives with digestive problems goes on. She was thinking there may be a genetic link that makes us all susceptible to these types of problems. I believe there is, and I want to know if it is Celiac Disease, or gluten intolerance (treated the same).

Though people may test positive for CD, they don't always develop a full-blown version. According to the source above, "Sometimes the disease is triggered -- or becomes active for the first time-- after surgery, pregnancy, childbirth, viral infection, or severe emotional stress."

Well, that kind of says a lot for my personal story: My husband suffered a massive heart attack early in the year, and we almost lost him. It was so bad it took 12 shocks to stabilize the heart, and he spent a week in the ICU. We had no incoming money and no savings to rely on, and no health insurance. During the following months we encountered one serious setback after the other. Every week I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown. After the heart attack, the cardiologist told me I might need help with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Maybe my level of stress triggered my digestive issues.

The same source also lists 12 other symptoms that can accompany CD:


  • unexplained iron-deficiency anemia



  • fatigue



  • bone or joint pain



  • arthritis



  • bone loss or osteoporosis



  • depression or anxiety



  • tingling numbness in the hands and feet



  • seizures



  • missed menstrual periods



  • infertility or recurrent miscarriage



  • canker sores inside the mouth



  • An itchy skin rash called dermatitis herpetiformis


  • Ever since my trip to the ER in late October I have been telling doctors and nurses that my extremities were tingly and numb!! They usually look at me in a very puzzled way. Only one nurser practitioner brought up the possibility of a wheat allergy or Celiac Disease. I have seven of those symptoms listed above. Dental enamel defects are also common (something I've had all my life). If that is not enough, when I was small people were always telling me I was malnourished. Even into adulthood doctors would tell me to take vitamins because I always seemed deficient, and had a hard time keeping my iron levels up.
    On top of that, in an effort to find out what happened to my "missing periods" (as listed here in the symptoms) I underwent an endometrial biopsy just yesterday. I'd say it is time to get back to that thought of possible CD again.

    Other health problems that people with CD may have include:

    • type 1 diabetes
    • autoimmune thyroid disease
    • autoimmune liver disease
    • rheumatoid arthritis
    • Addison's disease, a condition in which the glands that produce critical hormones are damaged
    • Sjogren's syndrome, a condition in which the glands that produce tears and saliva are destroyed.


      "Long-term complications include malnutrition-- which can lead to anemia, osteoporosis, and miscarriage, among other problems-- liver diseases, and cancers of the intestines."


    Currently, I am faced with the blood tests. In order to test for CD, I will have to return to a gluten diet, which I am not looking forward to, but willing to do to get a definitive diagnosis.


    The NDDIC is a service of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health. Please visit the website for complete information.

    No comments: