Monday, January 4, 2010

Week 2: G-Free Recap

Getting through the holidays completely gluten-free while still trying to figure out how to live g-free has proven very difficult. Though I am eating g-free to the best of my abilities, somehow something is still creeping into my diet that is not allowing me to return to that wonderful feeling those first five days I went completely g-free. I seem to have a chronic stomach-ache, a general feeling of malaise, and extreme fatigue.

I am sure that my fatigue is due in part to the fact that I wake up every night for hours before finally falling asleep shortly before dawn, only to get up an hour or so later. Yet I remember when I first went g-free, I had an amazing energy level for which even a sleepless night seemed of little consequence-- I still felt energetic!

Over the New Year's Eve weekend, the only foods I ate that I did not know for certain contained gluten were Tostitos chips and Sour Cream & Onion chips-- but I did read the ingredients and couldn't find anything off-limits to a g-free diet. Additionally, I grabbed a few Hershey's Kisses from time to time (which are supposed to be g-free). Those are the only foods I've eaten differently than the first five days I went g-free and felt great.

So this third week I will eliminate chocolate, and of course have not eaten chips since New Year's and won't again without knowing for certain that they are g-free. On top of that, I hope to find some answers to a couple of blood draws: my cholesterol (which was done three weeks ago) and hopefully the results to the tTG test which would indicate the presence of celiac disease. If I don't receive any news by Wednesday I will go ahead and call the clinic.

In the meantime, I deal with what feels like chronic fatigue syndrome on a daily basis. I wonder if this is yet another aspect of CD? And why is it taking so long for me to recover from a gluten diet?

No comments: