Monday, January 4, 2010

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Celiac Disease

I found an article on http://www.celiac.com/ regarding chronic fatigue syndrome and CD. I Googled this because I was wondering if there may be a connection to my own problems of severe fatigue and general malaise.

The article is called "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (myalgic encephalomyelitis or ME, PVS, post viral fatigue syndrome or PVFS)" and discusses the connection between chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and CD. A British study determined that:

"Mysterious symptoms, including muscle weakness, wasting, and poor coordination and balance may be due to an undiagnosed allergy to wheat, barley, oats or rye, according to new research which may have implications for some people with ME...A study of 53 patients with these and other unexplained neurological symptoms, found that nearly three-fifths of them had antibodies to gluten in their blood...none of the patients in the Sheffield group had been diagnosed with celiac disease but when samples of tissue were removed from their gut, more than a third showed evidence of the disease or inflammation of the middle and lower gut."

So what are the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome? According to the Mayo Clinic, the following symptoms are characteristic of CFS: Chronic fatigue syndrome has eight official symptoms, plus the central symptom that gives the condition its name:

  • Fatigue
  • Loss of memory or concentration
  • Sore throat
  • Painful and mildly enlarged lymph nodes in your neck or armpits
  • Unexplained muscle pain
  • Pain that moves from one joint to another without swelling or redness
  • Headache of a new type, pattern or severity
  • Unrefreshing sleep
  • Extreme exhaustion lasting more than 24 hours after physical or mental exercise

Additional signs and symptoms:

  • Abdominal pain
  • Allergies or sensitivities to foods, alcohol, odors, chemicals, medications or noise
  • Bloating
  • Chest pain
  • Chronic cough
  • Diarrhea
  • Dizziness, balance problems or fainting
  • Dry mouth
  • Earache
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Jaw pain
  • Morning stiffness
  • Nausea
  • Chills and night sweats
  • Psychological problems, such as depression, irritability, anxiety disorders and panic attacks
  • Shortness of breath
  • Tingling sensations
  • Visual disturbances, such as blurring, sensitivity to light, eye pain and dry eyes
  • Weight loss or gain

    "If you have chronic fatigue syndrome, your symptoms may peak and become stable early on, and then come and go over time. Some people go on to recover completely, while others grow progressively worse (Mayoclinic.com)."

Wow!! Any of those symptoms sound familiar? I realize that I have every one of those symptoms, and also realize that it is most likely related to CD. I found yet another article on the connection between CFS and CD on BNet entitled "Chronic fatigue syndrome: oxidative stress and dietary modifications - Brief Article" by Alan C. Logan and Cathy Wong (Alternative Medicine Review, Oct. 2001):

"Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is an illness characterized by persistent and relapsing fatigue, often accompanied by numerous symptoms involving various body systems. ...recent evidence suggests celiac disease can present with neurological symptoms in the absence of gastrointestinal symptoms; therefore, celiac disease should be included in the differential diagnosis of CFS.

"The prevalence of CD may be higher among CFS patients than in the general population."

This article states that in fact, CD mimics CFS and that all patients suspected to have CFS should also be tested for CD. While I was blaming age and hormones (or lack thereof) on my increasing forgetfulness, inability to concentrate, tremors or trembling and muscle spasms, tingling and numbness -- these neurological problems may indeed be part of CFS, and brought on by a clinically-silent case of CD before the digestive problems appeared.

So it appears that I have diagnosed myself with chronic fatigue syndrome, and that it is yet another manifestion of celiac disease. Next question: Why can't I shake myself of CFS with a gluten-free diet? And has my diet truly been gluten-free?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease from blood tests and biopsies 3 years ago. At the time I had absolutely not gastro symptoms. My symptoms were that of extreme tiredness (my record for uninterupted sleep was 78 hours!) and brainfog.
I was told that this was due to malabsorption and that as my intestines healed, I would feel better. I didn't. It is only now that my life and health is getting back to normal. And it is only now that doctors have decided to tell me that I probably had and am recovering from CFS. I think they are definately linked. But its a chicken and egg situation, which came first? All I will say to others is that the fatigue and fog from CFS and/or CD does get better! Eventually. Have patience and be kind to yourself. Those 78 sleep marathons? A thing of the past. I have good days, and I have bad days. But on the good days, I can run 10k or go scuba diving, do a full days work, and enjoy life again :)