Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Week 22 Recap: …And Two Steps Back

Week 22 started out with a scare. I was getting ready for the day, doing my Facemaster (which I have used for about 6 years now), when I suddenly started having multiple palpitations (a rather large flip-flop) to the point where my heart began to pound rapidly. It was rather frightening because for about 5-10 seconds my heart just could not get back on track. My pulse jumped to about 110. I didn't know what to make of it. I wasn't stressed, wasn't thinking about anything in particular, just watching TV while doing my face. I was completely relaxed, although after that little incident I have to admit I was pretty frightened.

I couldn’t remember the last time I felt like that. In the past I had experienced a sudden rapid and pounding heart beat, and had experienced the multiple palpitation/flip-flop feeling but couldn't remember when/if I had ever felt the two of them together. It was quite disconcerting because I thought I was over all of that!

After the ‘incident’ my left chest was aching, as well as my left arm. I was thinking it may be an anxiety reaction. I wasn’t under stress, but felt frustrated because I had been doing so much better, and now this – totally out of the blue, for no apparent reason. I couldn’t shake the anxiety and so ended up taking 1 mg lorazepam, which made me groggy for the rest of the day. Though I felt physically fine, I was emotionally let down. It depressed me because I felt like I went through an event that had no reason for happening. If I knew the cause, I could dismiss it and move on. Perhaps last week’s stomach upsets and chest fluttering led to this latest development?

I determined to ignore it the best I could. Just -- it is what it is-- it happened, I don't know what it is, get on with life.

After about two weeks of quitting Prilosec my stomach finally began to settle down, though I continued to experience the internal trembling that no doctors have been able to address so far. When it happens during the day it is like a major caffeine buzz, but at night it seems more pronounced and can be felt through the skin. I began to wonder if all this internal trembling is related to something with my nervous system that may also occasionally interfere with the electrical conduction of my heart.

I had a checkup with the internist this week and talked to him about the sudden flip-flop I had experienced out of the blue. He said if I had a mitral valve prolapse (MVP) it would have been spotted on the echocardiogram we did back in January, and that he didn’t think I had dysautonomia, but he wanted to recheck all of my thyroid levels—particularly because he noticed that my weight had gone up and then back down quite rapidly (in a few months time). He also mentioned that he was going to be talking with someone else about my case to help get some answers, which is always nice to know.

I asked him when I might see an improvement in the osteopenia and he said it could take up to 2 years to see a difference in bone density. It was a good visit – my blood pressure was 102/74 and my pulse was 84 – a little elevated for me but probably because I was nervous. I had about 5 tubes of blood drawn for the thyroid and iron blood tests.

The internal trembling continued throughout the week and at night it even felt like my eyelids were trembling. Another strange and new symptom began appearing this week: dizziness especially upon awakening and upon sitting up. In the meantime, I continued to take the clobetasol proprionate ointment as prescribed for the rashes on my arms.

By mid-week it was clear that this was
going to continue to be a very strange week!

I began to have stress days. For some weird reason I just couldn’t seem to control my levels of stress. My brain was telling me something was wrong or going go happen even though there was no physical indication or rationale for such an event. I felt like the Star Trek character Data when his emotion chip is implanted and it goes awry. Once it is deactivated he normalizes. It felt as though my stress ‘chip’ had gone awry and I didn’t know what to make of it. I had never felt that way before. I took a lorazepam and went to bed.

As I have learned since becoming seriously ill last October —if there is ever any type of new symptom I need to first look at what I’ve been doing differently or what drug was recently prescribed for me. In this case, the only thing new was the clobetasol proprionate ointment. I did a little Googling and found that it has been well established that low doses of topical clobetasol proprionate can cause adrenal suppression in some people. The adrenals are responsible for our ability to deal with stress! I immediately made the mental connection, though I was completely caught off-guard —it had never occurred to me that a topical ointment could produce this kind of reaction in me —but then again, over the past seven months my body had been reacting to everything!

One particular article I found came from the Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine entitled “Adrenal Suppression Following Low-dose Topical Clobetasol Proprionate” which said specifically:
“The use of topical steroids is associated with adverse systemic effects such as suppression of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis, and application of more than 50 g per week of clobetasol propionate cream has been shown to cause secondary adrenal failure” (Volume 80, July 1987).

The article described 4 patients who used clobetasol propionate cream over a prolonged period; 3 patients used less than 50 g per week (7.5, 25 and 30 g per week) and yet all developed secondary adrenal failure for up to 4 months after cessation of therapy (Boldface added).

The conclusion was that “relatively small doses of clobetasol propionate cream may cause adverse systemic effects, with suppression of the HPA axis occurring more commonly than has previously been recognized.”

So what is the HPA axis and what happens when it is suppressed?


 “The HPA axis can be thought of as the body's ‘stress sytem’. It controls the levels of cortisol (the ‘stress hormone’) and other important stress-related hormones. The HPA axis can also be thought of as the body's energy regulator, because it is also responsible for controlling virtually all of the hormones, nervous system activity and energy expenditure in the human body, as well as modulating the immune system. When the HPA axis becomes suppressed, your body will not be able to properly regulate your stress and energy levels, which can manifest in fatigue, suppressed immune system, depression, and anxiety. If you are experiencing such symptoms, you should see your health care provider for recommendations on the appropriate course of action.”

My first thoughts were: Could this really be the case? Just applying a small amount as prescribed? But I already knew my answer. My second thoughts were:  That's all I need to know.  My adrenals were already fatigued by my own diagnosis.  Stop taking it. Immediately.

The very next day, I woke up dizzy again. So much so, that as I sat up and leaned back to get a Kleenex off my nightstand, the room began spinning violently. I waited for it to subside and slowly stood up to use the bathroom but found myself leaning and kept tripping. As I went to get breakfast, I continued to feel very light-headed and off balance. I knew it was vertigo, and made an appointment to see my internist. He was out of town and so I was seen by a Nurse Practitioner, who subsequently diagnosed me with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) and recommended canalith repositioning exercises with a physical therapist (at this point, dollar signs began spinning around the room with everything else. I decided to wait until my internist got back into town and ask his advice.)

In the meantime, the NP prescribed meclizine (for the nausea that accompanied the dizziness) and a nasal spray: fluticasone proprionate. Great… more drugs…. I took the nasal spray and the meclizine the first day, but nothing more after that.

ODD THINGS DURING THE WEEK:
  • Experienced some minor tightness/twinges of pain in upper left side of chest off and on early in the week.
  • Experienced some mild left-subclavian pain again off and on
  • Vertigo throughout the latter half of the week
  • More pronounced internal trembling particularly in chest area
My exercise routines were disrupted this week with the vertigo. When I did use the treadmill my carotid pulse was much higher than normal-- for which there seemed to be no cause. For example, at 10 minutes into the walk my pulse is usually around 138. This week it was closer to 174—and hence the decision to not push anything.

When thinking back and wondering why I felt like I had been slipping backwards that week, I thought about my first heart events (for lack of a better work) last October. It seemed like they really slammed me down hard. A lot of things were going wrong before I was finally able to climb back up. And that is how I felt at this point. The strong cardiac flip-flop last Sunday followed by weird new symptoms: vertigo/dizziness and more weight loss without trying and without exercising most of the week. It was all so weird. Whether anything was connected to the other I had no way of knowing—especially after feeling so much better for a couple of months. It truly did feel like two steps backward.

No comments: