Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Week 23 Recap: Pressing the Re-Set Button

About 10 years ago I fell in love with an X-Box game my kids used to play called Need For Speed.  It was a racing game in which as you earned points you could buy better and faster cars and race against other drivers in beautiful locations around the world.  If I ever got stuck or couldn't maneuver, I could push the black re-set button and my car would be re-positioned and ready to go.  I have oftened wished for a re-set button in life.

 As the month of May ended and June began, it marked the seventh month since my journey to regain my health began. The question as to whether or not I actually have celiac disease remains debatable, though my personal inclination is to lean toward a gluten intolerance brought on by something else, possibly a virus. Swine flu was running rampant through the town last year, and in fact I believe one of my own children came down with it as well. Perhaps there was something in all the viruses floating around that attacked my system in a different way.

Week 23 started out with almost no sleep again, with my personal GPS (code for vertigo) still out of whack, frequently causing bouts of nausea and an upset stomach. And if that wasn’t enough, I was walking around with an internal ‘buzz’ for most of the week, like some kind of massive caffeine high (I haven't had any caffeine for 7 months).

With the onset of the vertigo last week I decided I’d had enough with all the drugs and vitamin supplements. I rebelled and quit taking the prescribed ergocalciferol, and all the vitamins with the exception of calcium/magnesium, iron, and 325 mg enteric-coated aspirin (prescribed by the internist when they thought I might have had a TIA).

I went to my internist on Tuesday to discuss the results of the thyroid blood draws the previous week and the vertigo. The blood tests were all within normal range, and though he had no explanation for the vertigo, he performed the canalith repositioning exercises on me (a good description of this procedure can be found here) and in the process taught me how to do it myself until the vertigo went away. He explained that he experienced it himself last summer and took care of it successfully.

I performed the repositioning exercises faithfully at least four times a day, and even though most of the reactions seemed delayed (about 20 seconds after changing positions) and sometimes the reactions hit with a bang, the vertigo gradually improved until it was completely gone within 48 hours after my first repositioning session.

The end of the week brought more pronounced internal (and nocturnal) trembling in the chest area. Sometimes it even seemed to migrate down my arms towards my hands. Was it because I eliminated the extra vitamin supplements from my diet? Was this yet another withdrawal reaction? I don’t know. Only time will tell.

My exercise routine was very successful throughout the week with just over 4 hours of strength training exercises including 150 minutes of Pilates and 100 minutes on the Reformer. Additionally I walked 19 miles on the treadmill at a brisk pace.

It was a good week, but one which was clouded with apprehension with the reminder that anything could go wrong with little warning.

No comments: