Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Week 20 Recap: Finding Ordinary

Week 20 started off well with Mother’s Day, which translated into a movie (Iron Man 2) and dinner with the whole family. Any time I get to watch Robert Downey, Jr. is a good day.  So seeing Robert Downey, Jr. and spending it with family was indeed a rare treat!!

Though I continued to have problems sleeping, I began feeling 100% on more days than not. Once the trembling subsided (presumed Prilosec withdrawal) I decided that I would stop taking it completely rather than gradually eliminating the dosage. I figured I’d rather suffer and get it over with now than continue this off-and-on thing all summer long.

On Wednesday I removed the biopsy stitches out of my arms myself. I did pretty well until the last stitch which was somewhat embedded into my skin and required a bit of digging. Started feeling queasy – don’t recommend it to others!! I’d much rather remove someone else’s stitches than my own!

No sooner had I finished pulling the stitches out, the dermatologist called. She said no sign of celiac was found in the biopsies but she was not really expecting anything to be found because the rash was no longer active—just old, chronically scratched skin-- not dermatitis herpetiformis. She said she asked the pathologist if IgA would show up and she was told that as long as the rash is still itchy it would still be present. So based on that information, she said she didn't think I had celiac.  But the rash has not been itchy. In fact, it hasn’t been itchy or active since I went gluten-free. When it does itch I believe it is because of the scabbing that is trying to take place.

Regardless, the dermatologist prescribed an ointment for me which she said would make the rash go away once and for all. The prescription was for Clobetasol Proprionate USP, 0.05% which I was supposed to apply at least twice a day.

Almost all of my exercise workouts during the week were uneventful: nothing going on out of the ordinary other than some minor fluttering late in the week which felt gastric-related. I also felt some brief left-sided chest pain off and on for a day or so, but nothing alarming.

My exercise totals for the week: 100 minutes strengthening exercises, including 20 minutes of Pilates and 80 minutes weight-bearing exercises; and 14 miles on the treadmill as well.

This week was nothing much to write about.... if fact, it was rather ordinary.  But do you know what?  That is a good thing!

No comments: