Monday, February 22, 2010

Week 8 Recap: Nice Feelings

Though the week started off with some residual back pain, it wasn’t too bad a week. In fact, I found a name for one of the mysterious “symptoms” I’d been having off and on through most of my life: silent reflux (as explained in a previous post).

For four days I couldn’t figure out why I felt like reflux was going up into my neck and attaching itself to my voice box. I was also salivating more, and developed a post-nasal drip without any apparent reason. Someone in one of my celiac support groups mentioned that she had “silent reflux” and when I looked it up, there were all my symptoms!

Well, now that I understood what was bothering me, I tried to look back at what I had eaten during the past four days—because my diet was mostly a GERD diet anyway: no fatty/fried foods; no sugary foods; no chocolate; no caffeine; no acidic foods; no tight clothing; no laying down after eating, etc. The only thing I could find in my food journal (that’s right, I have learned to keep one) were about 3 or 4 Kettle chips (g-free, of course, and low-fat) every day during that time.

Obviously, my body wasn’t healed enough to handle those chips, yet! So I did the reasonable thing, and stopped eating the chips… I also learned that I should be taking the omegprazole (Prilosec), and so started that regimen up again during the middle of the week. Once I started the Prilosec, I have to say, my days began to improve: maybe it was coincidence, maybe not; maybe it was because I simply wasn't eating those chips-- even though they were in very small amounts.

Also during the week, I continued my exercise regimen of two 30-minute treadmill walks (six days a week); a 20-minute Pilates workout (five days a week); and 10 minutes of weight bearing exercises (using a Pilates machine, five days a week).

Each 30 minute treadmill walk started out with a 5-minute warm-up walk and ended with a 5-minute cool-down walk, and for those 20 minutes in between I tried to keep my heart rate as near my target heart rate (as suggested by my doctor) as possible. I started out the week walking 2.744 miles in a day, and ended the week walking 3.003 miles in a day. That is 17.35 miles total (of course, this does not count the daily run-around and errands throughout the day); 100 minutes of Pilates; and 50 minutes of weight-bearing exercises.  So I feel this week was very successful in strengthening my heart and my core muscles. The best part: almost no heart palpitations this week, and that is a great feeling!!

Also, this week marked the beginning of a new class which I must take or my financial aid will be revoked. I was supposed to take two classes this time, but because of my health, I postponed that double-up (my final two classes) until the next term. I have been lucky enough to keep my GPA high (3.98)—which may be as high as I can get it, thanks to one A- a few years ago. Amazing how one little A- can affect your GPA. Regardless, I will be graduating summa cum laude, and that is a nice feeling.

The only drawback to this week was that I had to resort to clonazepam almost every night to help me sleep through the bouts of silent reflux, or symptoms that feel like hypoglycemia. Yet, all in all, by the end of the week, my days were very good—and back in the 90% range, which is a very good feeling.

No comments: