Sunday, February 7, 2010

Hypoglycemia, Celiac, Adrenal Cortical Insufficiency, and Addison’s Disease

I happened to run across a website the other day, that mentioned the “inner trembling” I often feel, particularly late at night when all else is quiet, about 5 or 6 hours after my last meal. The website lists three different types of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), but the one that caught my eye was regarding Type 2 (Adrenergic Type):

“After ingestion of glucose the blood sugar rises for the first three hours followed by a hypoglycemic rebound at 4 to 6 hours. Symptoms associated with this type of response are tiredness 2 hours after eating, allergic responses or food intolerances, and shakiness before meals. When blood sugar falls rapidly, the early symptoms are those brought on by a compensating secretion of adrenalin; these include sweating, weakness, hunger, racing pulse and an ‘inner trembling’. This response can be due to adrenal cortical insufficiency or thyroid deficiency (www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C18558.html).

Hmmmm….. I knew I didn’t have a thyroid problem because my thyroid test results were normal. However, this led me to think about the kidney problems I’d had over the last few months (the adrenals are on the kidneys) and did a little research on adrenal cortical insufficiency, and I found that adrenal cortical insufficiency can be caused by nutritional deficiencies (think: celiac disease and nutrient malsabsorption):

“People with mild adrenal insufficiency may suffer from the same symptoms as those with Addison's Disease. Symptoms can include headaches, muscular aches and pains, joint pains, confusion, impaired memory, low motivation, and many others. Additionally, such people may suffer from an increased susceptibility to all kinds of infections including those caused by bacteria, viruses, parasites, yeast, and fungi (www.mbschachter.com/adrenal.htm).

This led me to yet another idea: What is Addison’s Disease?

According to the Mayo Clinic:
“Addison's disease is a disorder that results when your body produces insufficient amounts of certain hormones produced by your adrenal glands. In Addison's disease, your adrenal glands produce too little cortisol, and often insufficient levels of aldosterone as well. Also called adrenal insufficiency or hypocortisolism."

This piqued my interest even more because cortisol is the hormone that regulates stress and helps you to sleep. Being a lifelong insomniac, it made me want to know more. Though Addison’s disease can occur at any age, it “is most common in people ages 30 to 50” (Mayo Clinic).

Symptoms include:
  • Muscle weakness and fatigue
  • Weight loss and decreased appetite
  • Darkening of your skin (hyperpigmentation)
  • Low blood pressure, even fainting
  • Salt craving
  • Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
  • Nausea, diarrhea or vomiting
  • Muscle or joint pains
  • Irritability
  • Depression 
If you were to go into an Addisonian crisis, you would need immediate medical care because it is a sign of acute adrenal failure. It can be triggered by an infection or illness, or physical stress (Mayo Clinic). You might have:
  • Pain in your lower back, abdomen or legs
  • Severe vomiting and diarrhea, leading to dehydration
  • Low blood pressure
  • Loss of consciousness
  • High potassium (hyperkalemia) (thoughts of my 2nd ER visit when a medical worker popped her head into the treatment room after they did a UA and asked if I was taking a potassium supplement – I was not.)
Have I lost you yet?
Going from Hypoglycemia to Adrenal insufficiency to Addison’s disease?

What is the connection?
Your adrenal glands have two parts: one that produces adrenaline-type hormones and one that produces corticosteroids such as glucocorticoids and mineralcorticoids. Cortisol is one of the glucocorticoids. According to the Mayo Clinic, glucocorticoids “influence your body's ability to convert food fuels into energy, play a role in your immune system's inflammatory response and help your body respond to stress” and the mineralcorticoids “maintain your body's balance of sodium and potassium and water to keep your blood pressure normal.”

What does any of that mean to me? The glucocorticoids play a part in my immune system’s ability to respond (why am I catching every "bug" that walks through the door?) and the mineracorticoids maintain my electrolytes (something I have questioned several times). It may be something, it may be nothing.

What does it have to do with celiac disease? According to the Mayo Clinic: “The failure of your adrenal glands to produce adrenocortical hormones is most commonly the result of the body attacking itself (autoimmune disease). For unknown reasons, your immune system views the adrenal cortex as foreign, something to attack and destroy.”

According to the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, there is an increased rate of Addison’s Disease (AD) in celiac patients (Peter Elfström, Scott M. Montgomery, Olle Kämpe, Anders Ekbom and Jonas F. Ludvigsson. Risk of Primary Adrenal Insufficiency in Patients with Celiac Disease The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism Vol. 92, No. 9 3595-3598, Copyright © 2007 by The Endocrine Society). These authors believe that “there was a statistically significantly positive association between CD and subsequent AD” and they “suggest an increased awareness of AD in individuals with CD.”

What I’ve been talking about so far is primary adrenal insufficiency. I should also mention that there is also a secondary adrenal insufficiency in which your pituitary gland is having problems. In this case, there wouldn't be enough adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), “which stimulates the adrenal cortex to produce its hormones” (Mayo Clinic).

How do we find out one way or the other? There are several tests, including a blood test to measure your sodium, potassium, cortisol and ACTH, and also for antibodies associated with Addison’s disease (AD). Other tests include ACTH stimulation test, and insulin-induced hypoglycemia test (according to the Mayo Clinic, after an injection of insulin, your glucose level should fall and cortisol level should rise). Additionally, a CT scan will reveal any abnormalities on your adrenals.

Treatment for AD would mean “taking hormones to replace the insufficient amounts being made by your adrenal glands, in order to mimic the beneficial effects those naturally made hormones would normally produce” (Mayo Clinic).

Personal conclusion? Perhaps the tremors/trembling I feel inside my body is related to an adrenergic type hypoglycemia which may have been caused by an adrenal insufficiency or even Addison’s disease, which is something that can be found in patients with celiac disease. Perhaps this why I have been getting sick so easily? Regardless, it is another hurdle that I must try to overcome, and something for which I will seek additional answers.

4 comments:

Angela Wice said...

Very very interesting. I have hypoglycemia, and I am sure Adrenal fatigue and I am sure Celiac disease. I need to be tested for Addisons and this is what led me to your blog. There has to be a connection.

Katie said...

Be sure to suggest adrenal fatigue to your doctor -- I have found some doctors that actually scoff at the idea. Do your homework beforehand so you are armed with good information!

Anonymous said...

Be sure to have an ACTH test done, that is the only way to know for sure. I suffered from celiac disease, hypoglycemia, recurrent infections and headaches for years. I became more and more tired. An ACTH after 7 years of misery confirmed that my body did not produce cortisol. Now I can finally beginning my life and healing.

Amie -Jodys sister (matron of honor) said...

Thank you! This is such helpful information. I have Celiac disease and have been experiencing much of what you describe here. I am anemic, deal with what I'm sure is adrenal fatigue & should seriously consider asking my doctor to test me for Addisons disease. I'm now 40 & I've been breaking out in hives like crazy this past year...out of nowhere. Never have had allergies before. I only found out about the Celiac disease in mid October 2014...looking back now, I recognize Celiac symptoms for most of my adult life! Crazy how reading your blog opened my eyes as my family doctor has been quite puzzled. I could just hug you. Amy (Washington)