Monday, February 1, 2010

Emulsifiers: Gluten-Free or Not?

As a self-confessed chocoholic, I am having a hard time finding convenient sources of chocolate that I can safely eat. I heard that Hershey’s Kisses were gluten-free and I munched on them freely during the Christmas holidays, but ended up sick almost the entire week. Whether it was actually the Kisses, I can’t be certain, but they are the only "questionable" candies I ate with consistency between Christmas and New Year’s.

Looking at the ingredients of Hershey’s Kisses, the only term that I could not find on any gluten-free "Safe List" was “emulsifier” and the more chocolate I looked at, the more emulsifiers I found. Could this be my particular problem with so-called gluten-free chocolates? I had to find out.

So what is an emulsifier in the first place? Well, to put it simply, when you mix water and oil together and shake it as hard as you can, you get little droplets of oil and water together, but sooner or later, once the shaking stops, the water and oil will begin to separate again.

To get a better picture, think of it like this: An emulsifier is shaped something like a lollipop with a round head and a thin tail. The head is water-loving, and the tail is oil-loving. It gets between the oil and water (the head holding onto the water and the tail holding onto the oil), and helps stabilize the mixture, the little droplets remain suspended—you get an emulsion.

“When an emulsifier is added to the system, the droplets remain dispersed, and a stable emulsion is obtained” (Emulisifiers.org).

The emulsifier also has “the ability to interact with other food ingredients. In this way, various functionalities can be obtained, for example, interaction with proteins or carbohydrates. The emulsifier may be an aerating agent, starch complexing agent and/or crystallization inhibitor” (Emulsifiers.org).

According to Jeanne Turner of Baking-Management.com: “Dried whole eggs help emulsify and strengthen sweet dough properties, such as in a cinnamon roll. Other emulsifiers have anti-staling properties.” Emulsifiers have a very positive role in foods because they also improve texture and aeration (think: Three Musketeers candy bar) and can even extend shelf life.

Emulsifiers are everywhere, and not just in food products. You will also find emulsifiers in soaps and detergents: how else is Dawn going to pull grease away from your dirty dishes and Tide going to pull stains out of your laundry?

OK, so what kinds of things are emulsifiers? Common emulsifiers include such ingredients as egg yolks, and lecithin (which is a type of fat found in eggs, soy, and other food products) and mono- and diglycerides (Hozey, Rachel, Ehow.com). Other examples include honey, mustard in which the mucilage surrounding the seed hull acts as the emulsifier (Wikipedia), as well as the locust bean gum (from carob beans), and gelling agents and thickeners, such as pectin (Food.gov.uk).

Tragacanth is one of the oldest known natural emulsifiers. Many sources, such as CSPI (Center for Science in the Public Interest) believe this can cause severe allergic reactions (Wilson, Lester, csaceliacs.org). Hydroxypropyl methylcellulose is a gum from a modified plant fiber used as an emulsifier (gluten-free) for thickening.

And what do emulsifiers have to do with gluten? According to csaceliacs.org, “Emulsifiers alter the surface properties of other ingredients they contact… and may contain gluten from grain.”

Emulsifiers are everywhere: ice cream, breads and other foods made with grain, soft drinks, chewing gum, mayonnaise, and creamy dressings (Hozey). They can also be found in vegetables, whether fresh, frozen, dried or canned “unless they contain thickening agents to evaluate” (Wilson). Additionally, “canned products may contain emulsifiers, preservatives, stabilizers, and food starch not defined by source" (Wilson).

As well, popular drinks contain emulsifiers and include “coffee, tea, chocolate made from cocoa, fruit juices, carbonated drinks and some nut and rice drinks. Instant or processed drinks without malt, additives, stabilizers, or emulsifiers added that must be evaluated” (Wilson). Some root beers are gluten-free, and some are not, so be sure to check.

Be sure to also check any medication you take. If you have a prescription, ask the pharmacist to call the manufacturer to make sure it is gluten-free. I warn you, not all pharmacists are happy to do this, but it is necessary for your health. I have had some pharmacists say “That is your job, not mine!” Other times, they just give a heavy sigh, and sometimes roll their eyes and sometimes do all three. Just be sure you do it during the day time because at night, there is no one for them to call and you are stuck. “All medications have fillers or dispersing agents, some of which may include wheat starch” (dietsite.com).

GI Care.com states that any of the following on food labels "usually means that a grain containing gluten has been used:"
  • stabilizer
  • starch (some starch, such as from corn, is okay)
  • flavoring
  • emulsifier
  • hydrolyzed
  • plant protein
Bottom line-- Are emulsifiers safe, or not?  Unless you are absolutely sure of the exact source, you might consider staying away from emulsifiers because they can be made from grains which contain gluten.

When it Doubt, Do Without!!

4 comments:

Hoi said...

Thank you so much for this one :) I'm intolerant (found out about 3 months ago). I had a horrible reaction last night after carefully choosing chocolate. The only mysterious ingredient was "emulsifier." It had to be that :/ Keep it up, it's really helping!

Kellensmom said...

Thank you so much for doing all this research....you're amazing, with six kids and finding time to do all this. Have you found any chocolate candy that's safe for celiacs?

Ar said...

I haven't been diagnosed yet with celiac disease but plan to get tested in the next 2 weeks. I'm pretty certain I am celiac. I know I have an extemely painful reaction if I get the tiniest bit of gluten. I just ate some Hershey's Chocolates a couple days ago and realized I had better check what emulsifiers are. It's usually the 3rd or 4th day that I have an attack of abdominal pain but there are slight symptoms prior. And it takes me up to 2 weeks to feel back to normal. I'm really scared I'm going to have a severe reaction from the chocolate. It seems as prevalent as this problem has become that something major has to be done with our food laws in this country. When I lived for almost 5 years outside the U.S. I had no problem. When I visited and when I moved back is when I had problems. I actually had some symptoms going on before leaving the U.S. but didn't know what was causing them. When I dropped wheat and gluten from my diet the problem cleared up....except when I accidentally get some in food. I read the book Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis which I strongly recommend. I also went through a time of eating "gluten free breads, etc." but learned that those are very unhealthy foods. They're actually very dangerous in regards to blood sugar and diabetes.

Unknown said...

hello .....i want to ask....i am from pakistan ....i have gluten allergy....kindly tell me...as I heard cheered cheese are glutenfree. ....but it's ingrediants contain emulsifier....so cheesser cheese are safe