Sunday, April 18, 2010

Week 15 Recap: Still Learning

Did you know that most Yoplait Lite yogurts contain aspartame? I had been so busy looking for “GLUTEN FREE” on the labels I failed to notice the aspartame listed in the ingredients. I don’t react every time to aspartame, but suspect I am more sensitive to it now, than in the past.

I think I accidentally glutened myself over Easter weekend… one of those things that in retrospect I ask myself “What was I thinking?” I used distilled white vinegar in a recipe and think that may have done it. As to whether vinegar is safe or not, is debatable.

According to Gluten Free: The Celiac Site:
“Distilled vinegar (or white vinegar) has been listed as unsafe for people with celiac disease by the major organizations in the United States, but not by organizations in any other countries. This position changed in 2001. The Gluten Intolerance Group® and the Celiac Disease Foundation now state that all vinegar (except malt vinegar) is safe for people with celiac disease to consume. The American Dietetic Association has also stated…that distilled vinegar is gluten free.”

While according to Celiac.com and the Celiac Sprue Association (CSA):

“Distilled vinegar, however, is still on the CSAs ‘Low Gluten Items to Avoid List.’ The CSA still maintains that distilled vinegar and alcohol are ‘questionable,’ even if there is no detectable gluten/gliadin in them, and even though the Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG), Celiac Disease Foundation (CDF) and the new guidelines from the American Dietetic Association (ADA) all include them on their safe lists . The CSA urges celiacs to ascertain the source of any questionable ingredients from their manufacturers.”

I may have been reacting to something else, such as Hershey’s Kisses, but it sure felt like a gluten stomach-ache! Do achy joints have anything to do with being glutened?

The results to my EGD (endoscopy) last week came in, and both biopsies of the stomach and small intestine were normal. Yay! The doctor did not expect to find anything relating to celiac due to the time I’ve spent gluten-free (three months now), but there was also no sign of GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). This does not mean I don’t have reflux, it just means it hasn’t advanced to the stage of disease—so I guess I have caught it early enough, which is a good thing!

Besides waking up in the wee hours of the morning every single day and not getting enough sleep, the week was not a bad week. In fact, my treadmill walks were the best ever, feeling almost completely normal! For the first time in about eight weeks, my heart was feeling stronger and stronger—almost as if it has healed. I hope that is the case.

ODD THINGS THIS WEEK:
  • A little pain to the left of my sternum, off and on for a couple of days.
  • Minor left subclavian pain, off and on all week.
  • Tingling tongue, and upper lip, also!
  • Strange hives on my knuckles during the week.
  • Minor right subclavian pain for about three days.
  • Weirds pangs under mandible again.
  • Fluttery sensations in chest from time to time, particularly when not feeling well.
“Physical Therapy” totals for the week include 55 minutes of Pilates, 60 minutes of weight-bearing exercises, and 18.309 miles walked.

It is ironic that the more I learn about celiac disease and how my body reacts to gluten, the less I realize I know about celiac and my body!  I am still learning, but it is a good learning.  Because I can be somewhat stubborn and hard-headed, it may take a couple of times to get through my head, but getting through my head it is-- and hopefully sooner than later-- I will finally reach the "Level Two" step (Step 1 = Beginning self-management and Foundation; Step 2 = Intermediate self-management and Expansion; Step 3 = Advanced level self-management and Maintenance) (Celiac Sprue Assocation).

This second step of "rehabilitation" includes (CSA):
  • Establishing an individual treatment plan
  • Keeping a daily diary and recording all intake, amounts, and reactions
  • Identifying and eliminating immune-response triggers
  • Waiting 2-4 weeks before reintroducing new or questionable items.
  • Expanding knowledge of CD/DH
 Just when I think I have reached Level Two, I end up back in Level One, still trying to figure it all out.  15 weeks and still learning...

No comments: