Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Week 11 Recap: More Questions, but No Answers

Although this past week was better than the one before, it was still full of questions as new symptoms seemed to pop out of nowhere.

For example:
Can GERD cause spasms or trembling of the esophagus? If so, I finally realized the connection this past week. While still in bed on Sunday morning, I noticed that when I shifted positions, my esophagus would start trembling and then eventually settle down. It always happened on the same side on which I was laying. I wondered if a little stomach acid wasn’t leaking into my esophagus with the changing of positions. Was the trembling a reaction to that acid? Could this cause any kind of damage to the nerves?

And most importantly:
Why was this still happening on a strict g-free and GERD diet? The reflux was bad enough that I couldn’t eat because my stomach always felt full, and I spent most of the week with a constant knot under my sternum. I wondered if my esophagus wasn’t inflamed because it was so difficult to eat and drink.

I started out the week with my usual “physical therapy” which consisted of two 30-minute treadmill walks, about 20 minutes of Pilates, and about 10 minutes of basic weight-bearing exercises— six days a week….

...well, that was the plan, anyway...

Monday’s exercise was fine— in fact, almost too easy! The previous week I had difficulty keeping my heart rate down, and now all of a sudden, I couldn’t keep my heart rate up! Even the Pilates and weight-bearing exercises seemed suddenly easy. This made me happy because I felt like I finally cleared another hurdle and was getting stronger!

...But it didn’t last…

Tuesday started out fine, but I began to feel double and triple palpitations as opposed to a single random one here and there. Though multiple palpitations had happened in the past, this was the first time it had ever happened more than once in the same day! Additionally, while I was taking one of my kids to the middle school for band, I felt a pain in my upper left chest that rapidly branched out and then dissipated. It was weird.

Weirder still:
By late afternoon, the jaw behind my left ear began aching. During my second treadmill walk my heart rate was not very high but still felt like I couldn’t get enough air. I experienced a lot of congestion in my neck—as though someone’s hands were around my neck. Why were these double and triple palpitations happening and why did it feel like I couldn’t get a good breath? Will more happen like this?

That same night, we had company come for a short visit that and at about 9 o’clock I started to speak and couldn’t without stammering and stuttering. I couldn’t get my lips and tongue to shape the words I wanted to say. I have no idea what could have caused it but it seemed to clear up a little later—probably in less than a minute. Had I not tried to speak I would never have noticed! Trying to ignore the thoughts racing in the back of my head, I ended up taking a ½ clonazepam to settle myself down and go to sleep.

Medicated or not, I barely slept, and that was the story for the next couple of days. I resorted to one treadmill walk and no other exercise during that time because the heart palpitations seemed to occur much more frequently than before. Also, my neck still felt tight during the walks, even though I had slowed them down considerably, and my chest would ache for the rest of the day. The lumps and bumps in my neck seemed to ache (not my throat, just my neck) and felt tender. I went around with two knots all day: one at the base of my throat, and one on the top of my stomach.

I finally had to admit that Tuesday night’s inability to speak sounded suspiciously like a “mini stroke” or TIA (transient ischemic attack). I knew that a TIA could possibly lead to a full-blown stroke and determined I needed to see my doctor. My doctor performed a neurological evaluation and noticed that I have a “bent” carotid artery—the same left carotid artery that had been numb and tender most of the week. He ordered a head/neck MRI for the following week and told me to take an enteric-coated full-strength aspirin (325 mg) every day for now. I knew this was to help thin the blood (avoiding more clots), so as long as it didn’t irritate my stomach (hence the enteric-coating), I was fine with that. And still, on the way home, I experienced another double or triple palpitation, even though I was actually feeling pretty good. Why?

By the weekend, the GERD was not so bad and the constant knot seemed to die down. I slowly reduced the clonazepam throughout the week and hope not to need it again…. but it is there to get me through any more anxious nights.

I have my own theory as to why I might have blood clots floating around, but since I am not a doctor, it is just a lay-person's wild idea.  Back when my heart wasn't doing so well (some kind of myocarditis or cardiomyopathy), my ejection fraction dropped to borderline low (55%).  When the heart does not pump out efficiently (systolic), some of that blood can kind of "back up" so to speak-- and cause some clotting.  With all my aerobic exercise since then, perhaps some of those clots have been breaking loose-- whereever they may be hidden.  But that is just my wild-eyed-theory and probably far from reality.

Just the same, I experienced too many mysterious events this week and as usual it can be very frustrating. My hope is that we will have answers this new week with the MRI and a GI consultation on the same day.

Stay tuned…

No comments: